Wednesday 29 July 2009

A bit about me



Now I've got the hang of blogging I thought I'd share with you a bit more about myself. I still can't quite believe I'm saying this but I love running! Like pursuing the creative journey that is setting up your own business, running requires dedication, determination and a bit more determination (often it is more appealing to stay indoors when you're due to run and it's pouring with rain!) However, when you have got your running shoes on, the warm-ups done and you steadily cover the distance you feel great!

Running entered my life quite unexpectedly last year when my Mum suggested I join herself, my Dad, Brother and Cousin's husband in running the Great North Run in Newcastle (the world's biggest half marathon) in October. I have always admired runners and despite never having any previous experience I decided it would be my challenge! So I, along with my Aunt who was also new to running, decided to sign up. I managed to get a place running for the NSPCC, a charity I believe does so much good for the children and families it helps. The weekend we would go to Newcastle to be ready for the run on the 5th was also my 21st birthday weekend (my birthday being on the 4th) so it was to be extra special.

I can't begin to tell you how hard mentally it was to even contemplate running 13.1 miles but with lots of support and encouragement the miles soon clocked up until just before the run I could comfortably run 10 miles.



The day came sooner than I thought which is normally the case when you're nervous about something, and it couldn't have been a nicer day - too nice really, was a bit too hot when running! I enjoyed every second, even the really tough moments when my body was telling me to stop! My Aunt and I reached the finish line, without stopping, in a very respectable 2 hours 42 minutes. I was elated and couldn't stop smiling!

Despite saying I'd never do it again (in the moments I wanted to stop) I have now registered as a Great North Member and have a place this year and for the next 2 years! I am running for Born Free this time and it's taking place earlier, Sunday 20th September.

With a new found love I had planned to start training again in January but I damaged my foot (not by running) and have only been able to start training again since June. So I've really got to keep up with the training schedule now! So my life at the moment is a mix of developing my business, creating new designs and fitting in running...phew!

More soon,

K x

No comments:

Post a Comment